Location: Shane English School
Based in: Wuxi, China
Shane English Schools (part of the Saxoncourt Group) is one of the biggest British owned TEFL companies in Asia. It has been going for over 40 years and currently has schools in over 13 different countries. We are continually growing and developing and every year looking to open new schools to broaden our horizons.
Salary and Benefits
- 15,800 RMB per month.
- Maximum 22.5 working hours per week.
- 3,000 RMB end of contract bonus.
- 4,200 RMB flight reimbursement.
- 1 week of comprehensive training, (paid 1 000 RMB).
- 22 days paid holiday.
- Health insurance provided by the school.
- Airport pickup.
- Arrival hotel paid for by the school.
How far will your salary go?
According to www.expatistan.com, here’s what you can expect to pay in Wuxi city:
- Basic dinner out for two in neighbourhood pub – 103 RMB
- 2 tickets to the movies – 90 RMB
- 1 cocktail in a downtown club – 59 RMB
- 1 beer in neighbourhood pub (500 ml or 1 pt) – 25 RMB
- 1 month of gym membership in business district – 600 RMB
- Standard men’s haircut in expat area of the city – 39 RMB
- Monthly tickets for public transport – 250 RMB
- Combo meal in a fast food restaurant (e.g. Big Mac) – 31 RMB
- Basic lunchtime menu (including a drink) in a business district – 28 RMB
Meet the Co-Founder of Shane English School Wuxi
Shally Shi is the co-founder of the Wuxi school. A friendly lady with a lot of love for Wuxi city, Shally co-founded the school with a partner back in July of 2007.
Shally attended Guangxi University where she received a degree in English Education. She is an experienced teacher and still helps out in the classroom at the Wuxi school today.
While written work is always important, Shally notes listening and speaking to be the two most important parts of learning English. She hopes that teachers at her school can encourage students to practice their speaking as much as possible, and create a classroom environment where students aren’t shy to speak.
When asked about her vision for the Wuxi school, Shally says she would like to expand the school to ten branches across Wuxi city, with an excess of a thousand students.
More about Wuxi
Wuxi is now a Tier 1 City in Southern Jiangsu province, China. It borders two other large cities, Changzhou to the west and Suzhou to the right. Additionally, the Intercity High-Speed Railway links Wuxi directly to both Nanjing (1.5 hours) and Shanghai (45 minutes).
Wuxi is noted for its amazing scenery which can be taken in at one of its many parks surrounding Tai Lake, all of which can be accessed on the modern and efficient metro system.
There is a wide variety of bars, clubs and restaurants catering for everyone (Western and Chinese), as well as historic museums, art galleries, hiking trails, riverboat tours, temples and the famous Lingshan Buddha.
There is a lot to do in Wuxi. It offers so much to its already thriving expat community.