Teach English in Nanjing, China
As an international teacher you will teach students 3-12 years old (8-15 students per class) with the help of a teaching assistant. The school will provide a training package. Classrooms contain teaching facilities such as whiteboards.
- 130 ACH (87 real hours) per calendar month (=4.33 weeks), or 20 real hours per week every calendar month.
- 40 hours (divided over 6 days) per week during peak months (June-August and January or February), arranged by the Director of Studies. This is represented by an average of 30 ACH.
- 174 ACH (113 real hours) per calendar month, or 26 real hours per week every calendar month.
It is possible to teach more than 40 ACH one week and less than 40 ACH another week, averaging out over the calendar month.
The exact working schedule and number of classes per day will be discussed.
Salary and Benefits
- 14,000-24,000 RMB (2,160-3,700 USD) per month after tax.
- Health insurance.
A total of 87,000 RMB in benefits per year:
- Allowance 2,000 RMB/month.
- Housing allowance/accommodation 3,000 RMB/month.
- Visa reimbursement 6,000 RMB.
- Arrival assistance 7,000 RMB.
- Flight reimbursement: 10,000 RMB (with 15 month contract), 8,000 RMB (with 12 month contract). 4,000 RMB will be paid in the 6th month, 4,000 RMB in the 12th month, and 2,000 RMB in the 15th month.
- End of contract bonus 6,000 RMB.
Requirements to Teach English in Nanjing
- You have a passport from New Zealand, Ireland, Australia, South Africa, United Kingdom, Canada, or United States.
- Bachelor degree.
- TEFL/TESOL/CELTA certificate or 2 years teaching experience.
Why Teachers Love Nanjing
Nanjing is a big city of 8 million people and has a brilliant history, good nightlife, and food of all cuisines to keep your palate busy. Nanjing is a great place to live for numerous reasons, like its great sightseeing spots like the city wall, hotspots like 1912 for nightlife, or Purple Mountain for natural beauty. As a major travel hub, Nanjing also offers up access to the rest of China through the country’s high-speed rail system.
Nanjing is as friendly and safe a place as one can find in China, and one of the better places to live in the country as it balances a high standard of life while not being overly expensive.
How Far Will Your Salary Go?
Teach English in Nanjing and this is what you can expect to pay according to expatistan.com:
- Basic lunchtime menu (including a drink) in the business district – 45 RMB
- Combo meal in a fast food restaurant – 30 RMB
- 1 bottle of good quality red wine – 100 RMB
- Standard men’s haircut – 53 RMB
- Basic dinner for 2 in the neighbourhood pub – 146 RMB
- 2 tickets to the movies – 87 RMB
- Cappuccino in the expat area of the city – 33 RMB
- 1 pint of beer in the neighbourhood pub – 23 RMB
- 1-month gym membership – 269 RMB