Teach English in Beijing
Teach at a 40-year old school belonging to one of the biggest British-owned TEFL companies in Asia, present in 14 countries.
The chain currently has seven schools in Beijing. Typically, students range from 3-18 years old, and there also are adult classes. Teachers work 20 hours a week, and any additional work is compensated accordingly. Teachers keep a regular schedule, with five working days and two consecutive days off.
Salary and Benefits
- 18,000 RMB ($2755) per month.
- 5 working days per week with 2 consecutive days off.
- 22 days paid holiday.
- Health insurance provided.
- Visa costs within China covered.
- Flight reimbursement up to 4500 RMB.
- Airport pickup and arrival hotel costs covered.
- A Teaching Assistant will assist with marking homework, communicating with parents and classroom behaviour.
- A western Academic Manager will train you and support you with anything needed outside of work.
- All courses have complete course guides and syllabus guides.
- Close welfare support. The school will assist with finding accommodation, setting up a bank account, getting a sim card and general orientation.
- Lots of opportunities for career development (Teacher Management, Teacher Training, Marketing and Sales, Publishing, Teacher Recruitment) both nationally and internationally with schools all over Asia.
- End of contract bonus: 4000 RMB.
Job Requirements to Teach English in Beijing
- A passport from the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand or South Africa.
- A bachelor’s degree or better.
- A 120-hour TEFL certificate or better. No TEFL yet? Get discount on a course.
- A clear criminal background.
- You are open-minded, enthusiastic, positive and professional.
- You must also be looking for a challenge and enjoy working with young learners!
More About Beijing
Beijing, one of the world’s megacities, is the second largest city in China, and one of the oldest cities on earth.
Located in northern China, this city of contrasts is steeped in history and home to seven UNESCO World Heritage sites, while also housing the largest number of Fortune Global 500 companies in the world. Its unique mixture of art, culture, architecture and diverse cuisine make it a travellers playground.
And travel you can. Beijing is a central travel hub that allows its residents to travel anywhere in China with absolute ease, while the international airport makes it easy for teachers to take a quick trip home.
But if you’re keen to keep it local, Beijing is often referred to as the bicycle capital of Asia, and there is no better way to explore what the city has to offer.
Teach English in Beijing and get a great opportunity to immerse yourself in a city that dates back millennia, but still has much to discover.
How far will your salary go?
While you teach English in Beijing you’ll have enough money left every month to freely spend on things. According to numbeo.com, here’s what you can expect to pay in Beijing:
- Meal for 2 at a mid-range restaurant – 200 RMB
- A ticket to the movies – 60 RMB
- 1 beer in neighbourhood pub (500 ml or 1 pt) – 10 RMB (25 RMB for an import)
- 1 month of gym membership in business district – 375 RMB
- Monthly tickets for public transport – 200 RMB
- Combo meal in a fast food restaurant (e.g. Big Mac) – 35 RMB
- Basic lunchtime menu (including a drink) in a business district – 30 RMB
More about the school
The school focuses on the support and development of their teachers. On arrival, teachers go through a training session which covers all areas needed to teach a wide array of classes. There is ongoing teacher development in the form of class observations, workshops and team teaching. The supportive environment ensures that teachers are able to grow to their full potential.
Teachers are encouraged to explore the local culture and neighbouring countries to get a well-rounded experience during their time teaching English in China.
Teachers can grow and develop with the company and move up into varying roles such as teacher manager, teacher trainer, teacher recruitment, marketing, sales and other roles.