Location: Shane English School
Based in: Baotou, China
Start Date: IMMEDIATELY
Shane English Schools (part of the Saxoncourt Group) is one of the biggest British owned TEFL companies in Asia. It has been going for over 40 years and currently has schools in over 13 different countries. We are continually growing and developing and every year looking to open new schools to broaden our horizons.
Baotou Shane English School is located in the city centre Wanda Plaza of Baotou. The school opened last year in October and is growing nicely. The school is looking to add 2 western teachers to the 5 Chinese staff. The style of teaching is a very fun and hands-on style with classes taking part both inside and outside of the classrooms.
Salary and Benefits
- 16,000 RMB per month.
- Free accommodations.
- 5 working days per week with 2 consecutive days off.
- Flight reimbursement up to 5000 RMB.
- 22 days paid holiday.
- End of contract bonus.
- Health insurance provided.
- Arrival hotel costs covered.
- Visa costs within China covered.
- Teaching Assistant with every class who will assist with marking homework, communicating with parents and classroom behaviour.
- Western Academic Manager who will train and support you both at work and with anything needed outside of work.
- All courses have complete course guides and syllabus guides. This takes pressure off you (the teacher) and frees you to concentrate on how to develop your teaching, rather than worrying about what to teach.
- Close welfare support. The school will meet you at the airport and assist with finding accommodation, setting up a bank account, getting a local sim card and general orientation.
- Lots of opportunities for career development (Teacher Management, Teacher Training, Marketing and Sales, Publishing, Teacher Recruitment) with Shane English Schools both nationally and internationally with schools all over Asia. As well as opportunities at the multiple head offices in varying departments.
- Passport from UK, IRE, USA, CAN, S.A., N.Z, AUS (due to local visa requirements).
- A recognised EFL qualification, minimum 120 hours (TEFL/TESOL/CELTA).
- Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Teaching experience not required.
- Candidate must be open-minded, enthusiastic, positive, hard-working, patient and professional.
- Must also be looking for a challenge and enjoy working with young learners!
How far will your salary go?
According to www.expatistan.com, here’s what you can expect to pay in Wuxi city:
- 2 tickets to the movies – 60 RMB
- Combo meal in a fast food restaurant (e.g. Big Mac) – 28 RMB
- Basic lunchtime menu (including a drink) in a business district – 79 RMB
- cappucino in an expat area of the city – 34 RMB
- 1 cocktail in a downtown club – 40 RMB
- 1 beer in neighbourhood pub (500 ml or 1 pt) – 25 RMB
- 1 bottle of red table wine, good quality – 35 RMB
- 1 month of gym membership in business district – 100 RMB
I moved to Baotou from south of China 2 years ago. It’s a place one would enjoy if the slower pace of life is preferred. People are usually worried about the level of pollution here, though I wouldn’t say it’s as bad as in a city like Beijing, for example. I love the fact that there are lots of parks here, which includes a huge grassland Saihantala, a perfect place for having fun doing some outdoor activities. There’s also a desert located close to Baotou, where you could find lots of interesting things to do. Baotou is a developing city, and the number of foreigners who come here for work or travel increases each year. The foreign community is a supportive group of people who usually arrange lots of fun stuff to do together.
This past year I’ve been working in Shane English school. It’s a wonderful experience I certainly appreciate. I had a very decent training, which was extremely helpful as the school has got their own teaching system. It has a fixed structure for lesson plans, though doesn’t restrain you when you feel like you should deviate. All the necessary materials are provided, if you ever find a need for new things to use at class, the staff will be there to help. Speaking of which, the atmosphere in the office is very friendly. I truly enjoy working with people there. They’ll be there to help with your daily things, as you get accustomed to a new life in a new country/city. Shane English school is overall a great experience when you start your ESL career in China.
Meet the Co-Founder of Shane English School Wuxi
Shally Shi is the co-founder of the Wuxi school. A friendly lady with a lot of love for Wuxi city, Shally co-founded the school with a partner back in July of 2007.
Shally attended Guangxi University where she received a degree in English Education. She is an experienced teacher and still helps out in the classroom at the Wuxi school today.
While written work is always important, Shally notes listening and speaking to be the two most important parts of learning English. She hopes that teachers at her school can encourage students to practice their speaking as much as possible, and create a classroom environment where students aren’t shy to speak.
When asked about her vision for the Wuxi school, Shally says she would like to expand the school to ten branches across Wuxi city, with an excess of a thousand students.
More about Shane English Schools
We focus on support and development of our teachers and this is done in various ways. On arrival, teachers go through a training session which covers all areas needed to teach the wide array of classes they will have. There is ongoing teacher development in the form of class observations, workshops and team teaching and a supportive and nurturing environment provided to ensure that teachers are able to grow to their full potential.
We feel that it is important that teachers who teach with us in Asia have a well-rounded experience. We encourage our teachers to explore the local culture and neighbouring countries during their time with us.
Our Head Offices are populated with Shane teachers who have grown and developed with the company and then moved up into varying roles such as teacher management, teacher training, teacher recruitment, marketing, sales and other roles.
More About Baotou
Inner Mongolia is the 3rd-largest sub-division of China and covers 12% of China’s total land area.
The official languages in the area are Mandarin and Mongolian as most of the population is Han Chinese with a small population of Mongols.
Baotou is one of the largest cities in Inner Mongolia and it has a population of over 2.5 million people. The local name of the city translates to ‘deer city’.
Baotou’s growth as a city started relatively late in 1809 when it grew from a town level.
In 1923 a railway line to Beijing was built, and then in 1934, the Baotou airport was built which helped to grow the main trade of the time; wool.