Location: Vivian’s Wonderland English School & Kindergarten
Based in: Nanjing, China
Start date: Immediately
Vivian’s Wonderland English School and Kindergarten is a fantastic opportunity for those who have a passion for teaching little ones. This beautifully decorated kindergarten offers a very competitive salary for a schedule that includes a 2-hour lunch break, weekends off, and a knock-off time of 17:00 every day. The school already has a team of 5 foreign teachers, but as they are expanding, they are looking for more fun and energetic teachers to get on board.
While the school does not fall directly under the Shane English School brand, it belongs to the owner of Shane English School Nanjing, uses a lot of the same material, and is run by the same successful management team.
Salary and Benefits
- 14,000 RMB per month
- Flight reimbursement 4,000 RMB
- End of contract bonus 3,000RMB
- Health insurance is provided. Teachers can join the school’s group insurance scheme, of which the premium will be paid by the school, or they may opt to purchase thier own insurance and receive an insurance allowance of 1,300RMB per month.
- Airport pickup and an arrival hotel will be provided by the school.
- Paid leave for the following days:
- All Chinese public holidays.
- 10 days winter holiday with pay (during Chinese New Year Eve.)
- 10 days summer vacation.
- Christmas day.
Working Hours and Classes
- 5 days a week with Saturday and Sunday off
- 25 working hours per week
- Any extra hours will be compensated.
- Working hours fall between 8:30 and 17:00
- Age group: 3 – 6 years old.
- Class size: 10 – 20 students.
- a passport from the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, or South Africa
- a bachelor’s degree or better
- a 120-hour TEFL certificate or better (No TEFL? No problem. Find out more about Saxoncourt’s FREE TEFL.)
- a clear criminal background
Why Teachers Love Nanjing
Nanjing is a big city of 8 million people and has a brilliant history, good nightlife, and food of all cuisines to keep your palate busy. Nanjing is a great place to live for numerous reasons, whether be it because of the sites to see such as the city wall, hotspots like 1912 for nightlife, or Purple Mountain for natural beauty. As a major travel hub, Nanjing also offers up access to the rest of China through the country’s high-speed rail system.
While hardly a small city, it’s not as hectic and huge as Shanghai or Beijing, and thanks to recent efforts the pollution has improved markedly in the last few years.
Shane English School in Nanjing has an international team of teachers and we all take pride in our work. Moreover, we’re all friends outside of work and we support each other not only at work but also in the rest of our lives.
Nanjing is as friendly and safe a place as one can find in China, and one of the better places to live in the country as it balances a high standard of life while not being overly expensive.
How far will your salary go?
According to www.expatistan.com, here’s what you can expect to pay in Nanjing:
- Basic lunchtime menu (including a drink) in the business district – 45 RMB
- Combo meal in a fast food restaurant – 30 RMB
- 1 bottle of good quality red wine – 100 RMB
- Standard men’s haircut – 53 RMB
- Basic dinner for 2 in the neighbourhood pub – 146 RMB
- 2 tickets to the movies – 87 RMB
- Cappuccino in the expat area of the city – 33 RMB
- 1 pint of beer in the neighbourhood pub – 23 RMB
- 1-month gym membership – 269 RMB
Why Teachers Love Vivian’s Wonderland English School & Kindergarten
Vivian’s Wonderland is a technical extension of the Shane English School in Nanjing. While it may use a different name, it is still run by the same successful management team from Shane English School Nanjing and also follows the Shane curriculum and textbooks.
The teaching schedule is very relaxed, with football class, story class, and new words class making up part of the day. In the morning, classes begin at 8:30 and run through to 11:00 after which teachers can then enjoy an extended lunch break from 12:00 – 14:00. Afternoon classes run from 14:30 to 16:00. The 25 working hours per week include all teaching-related activities, such as demo classes, meetings, training sessions, and office admin work. Students fall between 3 and 6 years old, and the average class size is 10 -20 students.
I’m a teacher. This place is awesome. Would recommend teaching at YOUR SCHOOL to any of my friends, their friends, and their hairdressers.
I gave this school the best 15 years of my life. Worth it.
Great students. Great staff. A joy of a work environment.
Best group of people I’ve ever had the pleasure of working with. And the school lunches were good, too.
I love my time at YOUR SCHOOL. I’m moving on to a Director of Studies position in OTHER SHANE SCHOOL, but I’ll miss everyone.
Meet the Academic Manager – Sam Morrow
Sam is the Academic Manager at the Ruijin campus of Shane English Schools Nanjing and is often tasked with welcoming new teachers to the school and city. Sam is from the UK but spent 15 of his younger years growing up in Spain. He moved to China 5 years ago after hearing great things about teaching there. He loves making the students laugh and creating an enthusiastic learning environment in his classroom. He recommends all new teachers try the local food and get themselves an e-bike as soon as possible to get around and explore the city. He says the sooner you become familiar with the surroundings, the sooner you’ll find comfort in living in a place so wildly different as China.
Meet the Manager – Jack Chou
Jack is the manager of both Shane English School Nanjing and Vivian’s Wonderland in Wuhu. Growing up in Taiwan, Jack attended Yuan Zu University where he did an EMBA. He has plenty of teaching experience in multiple fields such as Chinese, math, and sport. In his free time, you’re likely to find him chilling out and reading business magazines or playing basketball with friends. When asked what he thinks makes a good teacher, Jack says that having a positive attitude is key to being a leader in the classroom.
More about Shane English School China
In this section, we’ll introduce Shane English School China. We’ll have a boilerplate section ready that we can add to each Featured Job, but if you’d like to introduce Shane in your own wonderful way, we’d be happy to post that instead.