School: Shane English School
Location: Nanjing, China
Start Date: IMMEDIATELY
Shane English Schools (part of the Saxoncourt Group) is one of the biggest British owned TEFL companies in Asia. It has been going for over 40 years and currently has schools in over 13 different countries. We are continually growing and developing and every year looking to open new schools to broaden our horizons.
Shane Nanjing began in 2007 and currently has over 500 students aged between 3-18 yrs old. There are currently 10 foreign teachers, 30 local teachers and many more sales, marketing and support staff.
Most pre-school and kindergarten classes have 15+ students with the older classes having 8-10 students. The youngest classes are 30 minutes and the older ones are up to 1 hour.
Salary and Benefits
- 15,000 RMB per month.
- 5 working days per week with 2 consecutive days off.
- Flight reimbursement up to 5000 RMB.
- End of contract bonus.
- 22 days paid holiday.
- End of contract bonus.
- Health insurance provided.
- Arrival hotel costs covered.
- Visa costs within China covered.
- Teaching Assistant with every class who will assist with marking homework, communicating with parents and classroom behaviour.
- Western Academic Manager who will train and support you both at work and with anything needed outside of work.
- All courses have complete course guides and syllabus guides. This takes pressure off you (the teacher) and frees you to concentrate on how to develop your teaching, other than worrying about what to teach.
- Close welfare support. The school will meet you at the airport and assist with finding accommodation, setting up a bank account, getting a local sim card and general orientation.
- Lots of opportunities for career development (Teacher Management, Teacher Training, Marketing and Sales, Publishing, Teacher Recruitment) with Shane English Schools both nationally and internationally with schools all over Asia. As well as opportunities at the multiple head offices in varying departments.
- a passport from the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, or South Africa
- a bachelor’s degree or better
- a 120-hour TEFL certificate or better (No TEFL? No problem. Find out more about Saxoncourt’s FREE TEFL.)
- a clear criminal background
- X teaching hours per week
- X office hours per week (including prep time)
- 2 consecutive days off
- teaching AGE GROUP(S)
- X special events per year (paid or unpaid)
- dress code
And then maybe have a quick write-up if you have any special tasks or requirements on the job. We’ll have a boilerplate description of what teachers have to do, so this isn’t a top priority, but it is an opportunity to make your school stand out to potential applicants.
Why Teachers Love Nanjing
Nanjing is a big city of 8 million people and has a brilliant history, good nightlife, and food of all cuisines to keep your palate busy. Nanjing is a great place to live for numerous reasons, whether be it because of the sites to see such as the city wall, hotspots like 1912 for nightlife, or Purple Mountain for natural beauty. As a major travel hub, Nanjing also offers up access to the rest of China through the country’s high-speed rail system.
While hardly a small city, it’s not as hectic and huge as Shanghai or Beijing, and thanks to recent efforts the pollution has improved markedly in the last few years.
Shane English School in Nanjing has an international team of teachers and we all take pride in our work. Moreover, we’re all friends outside of work and we support each other not only at work but also in the rest of our lives.
Nanjing is as friendly and safe a place as one can find in China, and one of the better places to live in the country as it balances a high standard of life while not being overly expensive.
How far will your salary go?
According to www.expatistan.com, here’s what you can expect to pay in Nanjing:
- Basic lunchtime menu (including a drink) in the business district – 45 RMB
- Combo meal in a fast food restaurant – 30 RMB
- 1 bottle of good quality red wine – 100 RMB
- Standard men’s haircut – 53 RMB
- Basic dinner for 2 in the neighbourhood pub – 146 RMB
- 2 tickets to the movies – 87 RMB
- Cappuccino in the expat area of the city – 33 RMB
- 1 pint of beer in the neighbourhood pub – 23 RMB
- 1-month gym membership – 269 RMB
Why Teachers Want to Work at YOUR FANTASTIC SCHOOL
Teachers would love to hear about what it’s like to teach at your school from you and your teachers, so paint a picture. (And also include some pictures.) What makes your school special, if not unique? What’s the team like? Do you have any fun amenities at the school or nearby? Anything to make your school look and feel like a special place to be will go a long way towards bringing in the kinds of teachers you want.
It might also be nice to include the number of students, the size of the team, and a bit about them in a short description. And please save yourself a few thousand words of description and send us some photos of the school (approximately 1000 words per picture or so we’re told). Teachers will feel a lot safer putting that pen to the dotted line when they can see what they’re signing up for.
I’m a teacher. This place is awesome. Would recommend teaching at YOUR SCHOOL to any of my friends, their friends, and their hairdressers.
I gave this school the best 15 years of my life. Worth it.
Great students. Great staff. A joy of a work environment.
Best group of people I’ve ever had the pleasure of working with. And the school lunches were good, too.
I love my time at YOUR SCHOOL. I’m moving on to a Director of Studies position in OTHER SHANE SCHOOL, but I’ll miss everyone.
Meet the Academic Manager – Sam Morrow
Sam is the Academic Manager at the Ruijin campus of Shane English Schools Nanjing and is often tasked with welcoming new teachers to the school and city. Sam is from the UK but spent 15 of his younger years growing up in Spain. He moved to China 5 years ago after hearing great things about teaching there. He loves making the students laugh and creating an enthusiastic learning environment in his classroom. He recommends all new teachers try the local food and get themselves an e-bike as soon as possible to get around and explore the city. He says the sooner you become familiar with the surroundings, the sooner you’ll find comfort in living in a place so wildly different as China.
Meet the Manager – Jack Chou
Jack is the manager of both Shane English School Nanjing and Vivian’s Wonderland in Wuhu. Growing up in Taiwan, Jack attended Yuan Zu University where he did an EMBA. He has plenty of teaching experience in multiple fields such as Chinese, math, and sport. In his free time, you’re likely to find him chilling out and reading business magazines or playing basketball with friends. When asked what he thinks makes a good teacher, Jack says that having a positive attitude is key to being a leader in the classroom.
More about Shane English School China
We focus on support and development of our teachers and this is done in various ways. On arrival, teachers go through a training session which covers all areas needed to teach the wide array of classes they will have. There is ongoing teacher development in the form of class observations, workshops and team teaching and a supportive and nurturing environment provided to ensure that teachers are able to grow to their full potential.
We feel that it is important that teachers who teach with us in Asia have a well-rounded experience. We encourage our teachers to explore the local culture and neighbouring countries during their time with us.
Our Head Offices are populated with Shane teachers who have grown and developed with the company and then moved up into varying roles such as teacher management, teacher training, teacher recruitment, marketing, sales and other roles.