School: Shane English School
Location: Nanchang, China
Start Date: IMMEDIATELY
Shane Nanchang opened in 2016 and currently has over 150 students aged between 3-18 yrs old. There are currently 5 foreign teachers, 6 local teachers, and many sales, marketing and support staff. Each class just has 4-6 students. The school is close to a subway station and some great local restaurants.
As a Shane English School, the Nanchang school is part of a global network of educational institutions. With over 40 years of history and locations in 14+ countries and regions, Shane English School is Asia top British-owned TEFL school. Join a global team by teaching English in Nanchang, China.
Salary and Benefits
- 17,500 RMB per month (salary + housing allowance).
- 5 working days per week with 2 consecutive days off.
- Up to 3000 RMB flight reimbursement.
- 22 days paid holiday (includes national holidays).
- 7000 RMB end of contract bonus.
- Health insurance provided.
- Visa costs within China covered.
- All courses have complete course guides and syllabus guides. This takes pressure off you (the teacher) and frees you to concentrate on how to develop your teaching, rather than worrying about what to teach.
- Close welfare support. The school will meet you at the airport and assist with setting up a bank account, getting a local sim card, and general orientation.
- Lots of opportunities for career development (Teacher Management, Teacher Training, Marketing and Sales, Publishing, Teacher Recruitment) with Shane English Schools both nationally and internationally with schools all over Asia. As well as opportunities at the multiple head offices in varying departments.
- 24 teaching hours per week.
- 10 office hours per week.
- Maximum of 6 students to a class.
- Student ages range 1 to 16 years old.
- Most classes taught at Shane English School Nanchang with occasional off-site lessons.
- All lessons take place inside the school. Teachers do not need to teach in any other locations.
- All books, videos, iPads, and teachers resources needed to teach our curriculum. We also have many educational toys that teachers can include in their class.
- Teachers are welcome to bring any music, games, or teaching materials that they think will improve their classes.
- a passport from the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, or South Africa
- a bachelor’s degree or better
- a 120-hour TEFL certificate or better (No TEFL? No problem. Find out more about Saxoncourt’s FREE TEFL.)
- a clear criminal background
Why Teachers Love Nanchang
Nanchang, capital of Jiangxi Province, stands on the eastern bank of the Gan River. An ancient city, it’s origins lie in the Han Dynasty over 2,000 years ago. In the late 1920s, Carl Crow described it as a conservative town, surrounded by a high wall which had remained impenetrable to even the Taipings, protected by the city god: the Universal Lord of Happiness. The weather is mild to hot, but humidity is low.
For teachers living and working in Nanchang, there are plenty of restaurants and pubs (western and Chinese), as well as museums, art galleries, and the like. The city also boasts so many interesting places for weekend outings: the Tengwang Pavilion (very famous historic sites ); Meilin Mountain; Qiushui Square (the biggest music fountain in Asia); the Star of Nanchang (the biggest Ferris wheel in Asia); as well as some really great hiking spots just a quick subway ride away.
In Nanchang, you’ll easy to find any sort of hobby you may be interested in. Though small by Chinese standards, the city is still home to over four million people, so there are plenty of entertainment options and interest groups. The food is good – if spicy – and the people tend to be friendlier and more curious than you’re likely to see in China’s megacities.
There is a lot to do in Nanchang, and with the thriving community of expats living there, you’re likely to find a partner in crime to do it with.
How far will your salary go?
According to numbeo.com, here’s what you can expect to pay in Nanchang:
- Meal for 2 at a mid-range restaurant – 125 RMB
- a ticket to the movies – 40 RMB
- 1 month of gym membership – 285 RMB
- Monthly tickets for public transport – 125 RMB
- Combo meal in a fast food restaurant (e.g. Big Mac) – 34 RMB
- Basic lunchtime menu (including a drink) in a business district – 25 RMB
- Cappuccino (regular) – 30 RMB
Shane English School (Nanchang) is a great school to work at. I have worked here for 2 years now and I have loved it. The school has been very helpful to always make sure I have everything I need, inside and outside the school. The Chinese staff are also very helpful and friendly too. We often go out for dinner and always have a great time!
Why Teachers Want to Work at Shane English School in Chongqing, China
Shane English School Chongqing is a new school that is quickly expanding. In just over a year, the school has grown to the point that it is now looking to take on more teachers to accommodate new classes. As the school is still relatively small, Shane Chongqing has a close-knit team that enjoys a friendly and relaxed working environment while providing a professional approach towards the education of their students.
The school will provide a fully-tailored curriculum for the teacher to follow. (Of course, the school also welcomes teachers to bring their own creative ideas into the classroom.) And there is a beautiful outdoor playground that teachers may use for fun activities they feel will help with the student’s learning.
The position comes with a free apartment within walking distance of the school that will be ready for the new teacher’s arrival.
Advice for teachers coming to Beijing:
If you enjoyed doing it at home, keep doing it here. We can help get you set up so that you can continue your hobbies and doing what’s important for you. This will help you settle in more quickly and enjoy your time more.
There’s a really friendly crew in Beijing and we try and get together and socialize. But teachers that can make their own circle of friends often settle in better. Our existing teachers can help you make your own networks.
Air pollution is getting steadily less of a problem every year in Beijing, but there’s no denying it’s there and when it’s bad, it’s a problem. Our schools have air filters, getting one for your apartment is cheap and will add to your quality of life.
Finally, don’t eat the street food!
Meet a Current Teacher: Daniel
Daniel is one of our teachers, he is a native English speaker from the UK. He moved to China to teach English 3 years ago and joined our school in 2016. He has a degree in education, and before he came to China he taught English in England for one year. Daniel helps welcome all new teachers and will assist them in getting settled and showing them around the city. Daniel’s advice to new teachers is to try all the local food and enjoy the experience of living in one of the most fascinating countries in the world. When Daniel is not teaching, he enjoys taking advantage of the nearby hiking trails and watching Premier League football.
Meet the Principal: Britney Huang
Britney is the principal of Shane English School Chongqing and a proud mother of 2 beautiful daughters. A born and raised Chongqing resident, Britney has 14 years of teaching experience under her belt and ran her own training centre for 12 years before opening Shane English School in November of 2017. The opening of the school is the first step in a long process as she aims to open numerous branches throughout Chongqing in the years to come. Britney looks for teachers who are able to show the patience and empathy required for young kids to learn a foreign language. A proud school owner, Britney is happy to speak with any teachers interested in joining her school.
More about Shane English School China
We focus on support and development of our teachers and this is done in various ways. On arrival, teachers go through a training session which covers all areas needed to teach the wide array of classes they will have. There is ongoing teacher development in the form of class observations, workshops and team teaching and a supportive and nurturing environment provided to ensure that teachers are able to grow to their full potential.
We feel that it is important that teachers who teach with us in Asia have a well-rounded experience. We encourage our teachers to explore the local culture and neighbouring countries during their time with us.
Our Head Offices are populated with Shane teachers who have grown and developed with the company and then moved up into varying roles such as teacher management, teacher training, teacher recruitment, marketing, sales and other roles.