School: Shane English School
Location: Chongqing, China
Start Date: IMMEDIATELY
Shane English School Chongqing is a new school that is quickly expanding. In just over a year the school has grown 60 students and is now looking to take on more teachers as the school continues to grow. As the school is still relatively small, they have a close-knit team that enjoys a friendly and relaxed working environment and a professional approach towards the education of their students.
The school will provide a fully-tailored curriculum for the teacher to follow, however, the school welcomes teachers to bring their own creative ideas into the classroom. There is a beautiful outdoor playground that teacher’s may use for fun activities they feel will help with the student’s learning.
The position comes with a free apartment in walking distance of the school that will be ready for the new teacher’s arrival.
Salary and Benefits
- 16,000-18,000 RMB per month.
- Free apartment ready on arrival (or additional 1000 RMB housing allowance).
- 5 working days per week with 2 consecutive days off.
- Up to 4200 RMB flight reimbursement.
- 22 days paid holiday (indludes national holidays).
- 2000 RMB end of contract bonus.
- Health insurance provided.
- Visa costs within China covered.
- Paid 3-day teacher training.
- All courses have complete course guides and syllabus guides. This takes pressure off you (the teacher) and frees you to concentrate on how to develop your teaching, rather than worrying about what to teach.
- Close welfare support. The school will meet you at the airport and assist with setting up a bank account, getting a local sim card, and general orientation.
- Lots of opportunities for career development (Teacher Management, Teacher Training, Marketing and Sales, Publishing, Teacher Recruitment) with Shane English Schools both nationally and internationally with schools all over Asia. As well as opportunities at the multiple head offices in varying departments.
- Teaching hours: 25 hours per week
- Office hours: 5 hours per week
- Class sizes: maximum of 16 students per class
- Student age group: 3-16
- A teaching assistant will be present in in younger classes to help set up activities, check work, manage classroom behavior.
- All lessons take place inside the school. Teachers do not need to teach in any other locations.
- All books, CDs and teachers resources needed to teach our curriculum w. We also have many educational toys that teachers can include in their class.
- Teachers are welcome to bring any music, games, or teaching materials that they think will improve their classes.
- a passport from the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, Australia, Ireland, or New Zealand
- a bachelor’s degree or better
- a 120-hour TEFL certificate or better
- a clear criminal background
Why Teachers Love Chongqing
Chongqing is a very large, modern city with many parks, winding rivers and surrounding mountains. It’s very hilly in places, and tree covered hills are never far away. Together with tree-lined streets everywhere, it feels very green despite being such a big city. There are large modern shopping centres and traditional parks to relax in. So on your time off there’s plenty to do. Cruise ships also leave here for the Yangtze River Three Gorges cruise.
There are a large metro and comprehensive bus network to easily get around. It’s cheap too. There’s also high-speed rail links to other major cities, as well as the city’s Jiangbei Airport. It’s a good starting place to see some of the best that China has to offer.
In Chongqing, you have to try the hot pot. It’s the food that this city is famous for. It’s very spicy, but even if you don’t like spicy dishes you can have the unspicy alternatives.
Chongqing is an interesting alternative to the more obvious locations, and you’ll feel rewarded for taking an interest in both the local and regional cultural and natural attractions.
How far will your salary go?
According to numbeo.com, here’s what you can expect to pay in Chongqing:
- Meal for 2 at a mid-range restaurant – 125 RMB
- a ticket to the movies – 40 RMB
- 1 month of gym membership – 285 RMB
- Monthly tickets for public transport – 125 RMB
- Combo meal in a fast food restaurant (e.g. Big Mac) – 34 RMB
- Basic lunchtime menu (including a drink) in a business district – 25 RMB
- Cappuccino (regular) – 30 RMB
Why Teachers Want to Work at Shane English School in Chongqing, China
Shane English School Chongqing is a new school that is quickly expanding. In just over a year, the school has grown to the point that it is now looking to take on more teachers to accommodate new classes. As the school is still relatively small, Shane Chongqing has a close-knit team that enjoys a friendly and relaxed working environment while providing a professional approach towards the education of their students.
The school will provide a fully-tailored curriculum for the teacher to follow. (Of course, the school also welcomes teachers to bring their own creative ideas into the classroom.) And there is a beautiful outdoor playground that teachers may use for fun activities they feel will help with the student’s learning.
The position comes with a free apartment within walking distance of the school that will be ready for the new teacher’s arrival.
I have worked for Chongqing Shane English School for more than one year now it is a friendly and rewarding place to work at. The manager is always available to explain what is expected with teaching matters and do her best to have lessons run smoothly. When I have needed help with anything outside of teaching the staff have been particularly helpful. We often go out for dinner and trying the local food is always interesting and often delicious.
Advice for teachers coming to Beijing:
If you enjoyed doing it at home, keep doing it here. We can help get you set up so that you can continue your hobbies and doing what’s important for you. This will help you settle in more quickly and enjoy your time more.
There’s a really friendly crew in Beijing and we try and get together and socialize. But teachers that can make their own circle of friends often settle in better. Our existing teachers can help you make your own networks.
Air pollution is getting steadily less of a problem every year in Beijing, but there’s no denying it’s there and when it’s bad, it’s a problem. Our schools have air filters, getting one for your apartment is cheap and will add to your quality of life.
Finally, don’t eat the street food!
Meet the Senior Teacher: Mark Day
Mark is the Senior Teacher at Chongqing Shane English Training school. He moved to China to teach English 3 years ago and joined our school when it opened in 2017. Before he came to China he taught English in Korea for 8 years. Apart from teaching, Mark also plays a small role in recruiting and orientation by welcoming new teachers aboard and assisting them in getting settled and showing them around the city. Mark’s advice to new teachers is to try all the local food and enjoy the experience of living in one of the most fascinating countries in the world. When Mark is not teaching, he enjoys swimming and climbing mountains.
Meet the Principal: Britney Huang
Britney is the principal of Shane English School Chongqing and a proud mother of 2 beautiful daughters. A born and raised Chongqing resident, Britney has 14 years of teaching experience under her belt and ran her own training centre for 12 years before opening Shane English School in November of 2017. The opening of the school is the first step in a long process as she aims to open numerous branches throughout Chongqing in the years to come. Britney looks for teachers who are able to show the patience and empathy required for young kids to learn a foreign language. A proud school owner, Britney is happy to speak with any teachers interested in joining her school.
More about Shane English School China
We focus on support and development of our teachers and this is done in various ways. On arrival, teachers go through a training session which covers all areas needed to teach the wide array of classes they will have. There is ongoing teacher development in the form of class observations, workshops and team teaching and a supportive and nurturing environment provided to ensure that teachers are able to grow to their full potential.
We feel that it is important that teachers who teach with us in Asia have a well-rounded experience. We encourage our teachers to explore the local culture and neighbouring countries during their time with us.
Our Head Offices are populated with Shane teachers who have grown and developed with the company and then moved up into varying roles such as teacher management, teacher training, teacher recruitment, marketing, sales and other roles.