Location: Shane English School
Based in: Beijing, China
Start Date: Immediately
Shane English Schools (part of the Saxoncourt Group) is one of the biggest British owned TEFL companies in Asia. It has been going for over 40 years and currently has schools in over 13 different countries. We are continually growing and developing and every year looking to open new schools to broaden our horizons.
We currently have seven schools operating in Beijing. Typically, our students’ age range is from 3-18 years old, but we also offer adult classes. Teachers work 20 hours a week, and any additional work will be compensated accordingly. Teachers also keep a regular schedule, with five working days and two consecutive days off.
- 18,000 RMB per month.
- 5 working days per week with 2 consecutive days off.
- Flight reimbursement up to 4500 RMB.
- 22 days paid holiday.
- End of contract bonus: 4000
- Health insurance provided.
- Arrival hotel costs covered.
- Visa costs within China covered.
- Teaching Assistant with every class who will assist with marking homework, communicating with parents and classroom behaviour.
- Western Academic Manager who will train and support you both at work and with anything needed outside of work.
- All courses have complete course guides and syllabus guides. This takes pressure off you (the teacher) and frees you to concentrate on how to develop your teaching, rather than worrying about what to teach.
- Close welfare support. The school will meet you at the airport and assist with finding accommodation, setting up a bank account, getting a local sim card and general orientation.
- Lots of opportunities for career development (Teacher Management, Teacher Training, Marketing and Sales, Publishing, Teacher Recruitment) with Shane English Schools both nationally and internationally with schools all over Asia. As well as opportunities at the multiple head offices in varying departments.
- passport from UK, IRE, USA, CAN, S.A., N.Z, AUS (due to local visa requirements).
- a recognised EFL qualification, minimum 120 hours (TEFL/TESOL/CELTA).
- bachelor’s degree or higher.
- teaching experience not required.
- candidate must be open-minded, enthusiastic, positive, hard-working, patient and professional.
- must also be looking for a challenge and enjoy working with young learners!
How far will your salary go?
According to numbeo.com, here’s what you can expect to pay in Wuxi city:
- Meal for 2 at a mid-range restaurant – 200 RMB
- a ticket to the movies – 60 RMB
- 1 beer in neighbourhood pub (500 ml or 1 pt) – 10 RMB (25 RMB for an import)
- 1 month of gym membership in business district – 375 RMB
- Monthly tickets for public transport – 200 RMB
- Combo meal in a fast food restaurant (e.g. Big Mac) – 35 RMB
- Basic lunchtime menu (including a drink) in a business district – 30 RMB
Meet the Co-Founder of Shane English School Wuxi
Shally Shi is the co-founder of the Wuxi school. A friendly lady with a lot of love for Wuxi city, Shally co-founded the school with a partner back in July of 2007.
Shally attended Guangxi University where she received a degree in English Education. She is an experienced teacher and still helps out in the classroom at the Wuxi school today.
While written work is always important, Shally notes listening and speaking to be the two most important parts of learning English. She hopes that teachers at her school can encourage students to practice their speaking as much as possible, and create a classroom environment where students aren’t shy to speak.
When asked about her vision for the Wuxi school, Shally says she would like to expand the school to ten branches across Wuxi city, with an excess of a thousand students.
More about Shane English Schools
We focus on support and development of our teachers and this is done in various ways. On arrival, teachers go through a training session which covers all areas needed to teach the wide array of classes they will have. There is ongoing teacher development in the form of class observations, workshops and team teaching and a supportive and nurturing environment provided to ensure that teachers are able to grow to their full potential.
We feel that it is important that teachers who teach with us in Asia have a well-rounded experience. We encourage our teachers to explore the local culture and neighbouring countries during their time with us.
Our Head Offices are populated with Shane teachers who have grown and developed with the company and then moved up into varying roles such as teacher management, teacher training, teacher recruitment, marketing, sales and other roles.
More About Beijing
Beijing, one of the world’s megacities, is the second largest city in China, and one of the oldest cities on earth.
Located in northern China, this city of contrasts is steeped in history and home to seven UNESCO World Heritage sites, while also housing the largest number of Fortune Global 500 companies in the world. Its unique mixture of art, culture, architecture and diverse cuisine make it a travellers playground.
And travel you can. Beijing is a central travel hub that allows its residents to travel anywhere in China with absolute ease, while the international airport makes it easy for teachers to take a quick trip home.
But if you’re keen to keep it local, Beijing is often referred to as the bicycle capital of Asia, and there is no better way to explore what the city has to offer.
Teaching in Beijing offers a great opportunity to completely immerse yourself in a city that dates back millennia but still has so much to discover.
Shane English School Huilongguan is a franchise school of Shane English School Beijing. The Huilongguan school is new, having opened in 2015. Most of its classes are young learners, aged 4 upwards, but it is also planning to introduce one or two courses for adults. It is located in a residential community in the north of Changping district of northern Beijing. It is close to Longze subway station on Line 13, and is around 30 minutes from Head Office.
Beijing has a great variety of ancient culture and modern activities to enjoy. The local people are friendly, food is delicious, and on a teacher’s salary you can afford a comfortable standard of living. Huilongguan school is looking for energetic, outgoing, friendly teachers who enjoy working with all ages of children. An interest in using art and music in the classroom would be very welcome. There may be opportunities for teachers completing their initial year to take on additional roles such as Senior Teacher.
Shane English School Zhichunlu is a direct training establishment (DTE) meaning it is owned by the Shane organisation. It is also the headquarters for the company’s operations in northern and southern China. The capital of China has a great range of ancient culture and modern entertainment to enjoy. Here you will find friendly people, delicious food and a comfortable yet affordable standard of living. We are looking for individuals who are friendly, outgoing, culturally inquisitive, and enjoy working with young children . All of our schools are located near the heart of the city. For teachers looking to stay on past their initial contracts, there are opportunities for career development and advancement to senior management roles.
The Xisanqi school has been open since 2013 and has established itself in this residential community as a location for young learners to develop their English. It caters mostly to students aged 4 – 12 years old, and is 50 minutes away by subway from our Head Office school in Zhichunlu.
Situated in the northern suburbs of Beijing, the school is a 10 minute bus ride from Yuxin station on line 8. The school is in a residential area, which has cheaper accommodation costs than other parts of Beijing, but is near to subway line 8 which goes directly into the heart of Beijing. This makes it convenient to live in the quieter, more affordable area of Beijing, whilst still having access to Beijing’s main attractions. The green Olympic line (line 8) goes past many of the Olympic venues including the Olympic stadium, and into the hutong areas of Dongcheng near the Forbidden City.